суббота, 18 октября 2008 г.

dork geek nerd test




In my last post, I spoke briefly about my new project (moving our website in-house before our host shuts us down) and how Iapos;m doing so on the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) platform. I questioned what distribution of Linux the geeks on my flist recommends, and 2 out of 2 replies recommended CentOS.

I did not go with CentOS because I couldnapos;t find a mirror that connected quickly or reliably enough. Granted, I could have looked a little harder but CentOS-- while highly recommended by two people whose Linux opinions I trust-- is an unknown commodity for me.

Given that my boss is not a Linux fan by any stretch of the imagination, I first decided to use something that had a touch of user-friendliness but was robust enough to use on the server; openSUSE-- which Iapos;ve used before-- immediately came to mind. Sadly, that experiment failed as the DVD ISO image didnapos;t download properly and the LIve CD install didnapos;t come close to having anything that was a dependency for anything that was a dependency for anything that was a dependency for Apache, MySQL, and PHP.

I should digress for a moment and state that Iapos;ve been a fan of Linux for... More years than I care to count. I started on a floppy-disk based distribution of Slackware, when the most advanced X Window Manager was FVWM and most systems actually ran TWM (if they had the luxury of X Windows at all.) Over the years, Iapos;ve played a number of different distributions including Slackware, Red Hat, and SUSE, but I always returned to Slackware. Itapos;s not the easiest distribution to work with, but itapos;s consistent, solid, and I know it.

I decided to bite the bullet and go with Slackware. I downloaded 12.1 (three CDs worth of ISO images) and within a few hours had the system up and running with Apache, MySQL, PHP, all configured to my tastes. I havenapos;t actually used Linux in a production environment for about three years, but I was surprised how quickly it all came back to me.

So. Now I only need to install Joomla, build some templates to match our site, and move over the content. Thatapos;s what Iapos;ll be doing next week.

After having to deal for so long with the MRP/ERP implementation that was nothing but painful, this project is a welcome break of fun. Insomuch as one can have a fun project at work. :)

did harriet tubman go to college, dork geek nerd test, dork gehs, dork hes such.



Комментариев нет: